License required?

To the editor: Reading the interesting article about the PC-version of an HF DSC system, I see that you mention that no license is required. It is true that all GMDSS has nothing to do with a ham license. But in order to participate on maritime radio communication (e.g. VHF, VHF DCS, HF, HF DSC) you need to acquire a maritime radio license — SRC or LRC, Short Range Certificate (i.e. VHF) or Long Range Certificate (i.e. MF, HF). This is standardized by ITU. Of course, it does not include emergency communication.

—Marc Audeoud is a Swiss sailor who, with his wife Melanie and son Kyle, has lived aboard and voyaged on their 45-foot, 1981 Amel Maramu ketch Melmar Y.  

Richard Duncan of Personal DSC responds: That is true as with any HF radio used on the ocean. We assume that an individual would already have the proper license for operating the radio. Given this, no other license is needed.

By Ocean Navigator