Every year, Ocean Navigator gives an award to one marine product that improves marine technology to aid voyagers.
The winner of the 2019 Ocean Navigator Chuck Husick Marine Technology Award is the OneMail Version 3 satellite email app from OCENS Satellite Systems and Service in Des Moines, Wash. The OneMail V.3 app allows you to access your Gmail, Yahoo, HotMail, Exchange and other email accounts via satellite or low-bandwidth connections such as Iridium GO, Globalstar Sat-Fi, Thuraya IP and others.
Contributing editor and circumnavigator Ellen Massey Leonard says this about OneMail V.3: “I’m a huge fan … as it’s the only satellite email service out there that allows direct access to ‘your’ email accounts (such as Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.). It’s made life a whole lot easier for us on board as it allows [my husband] Seth to access his work email without interruption. I think it’s getting a lot of traction with Iridium GO users as well as traditional satphone people.”
Our award panel for this year included:
- Ben Ellison — marine electronics expert and owner of Panbo.com
- Ellen Massey Leonard — circumnavigator and marine writer
- Steve D’Antonio — marine systems consultant, writer, photographer and ABYC Master Technician
- Dave McCampbell — former naval officer and current live-aboard voyager
- Bill Morris — circumnavigator and marine author
- Alex Agnew — voyager and publisher of Ocean Navigator
- Tim Queeney — editor of Ocean Navigator